This is a must in areas that have hard freezes. The stop and waste is a shut off valve that drains the down stream water from a main line. It is generally installed at the point of connection that is leading to the sprinkler system (generally close to the meter or a building). The Weep hole allows water to escape when the valve is closed. Thus a stop and waste is regularly installed at a depth that is sufficient to prevent freezing of the live side of the water main.
For the sake of stability, I generally install the Stop and Waste with brass nipples, I make the change to PVC after the brass elbow on the down stream side of the valve.
Typical Parts List For Stop And Waste Installation
- Compression Tee for installation with existing main line piping.
- Stop And Waste
- 2 brass nipples 6 inches long
- brass 90
- Toe Nipple or PVC Nipple
- Slip Coupling or Female Adapter
- 5 feet of 2 inch pipe for sleve
- 2 inch Snug Cap
- 10 inch round irrigation box
- Teflon tape
- Gravel for bedding the Stop and Waste